От Ciaran Ответить на сообщение
К Kalash Ответить по почте
Дата 04.03.2016 10:19:22 Найти в дереве
Рубрики WWII; Версия для печати

Re: Рассказ американского...

При переводе была сокращена начало абзаца, про то, что командиры, отдающие приказ "держаться любой ценой", почти всегда немедленно линяют в тыл после этого. Ну и дальше тоже подсокращено. В оригинале было:

"I have attempted to find an origin for the phrase "hold at all costs". I could not find any authority that traced the history of the statement. It was used in the American Civil War and in the First World War. I feel that almost all Officers that gave this order immediately left the area in the direction away from the enemy. It is positively un-American to accept a suicide mission. Suicide missions generally involve religion. Persons volunteering for these missions feel they will get some reward in an afterlife. Not wanting to disgrace their family or let the Emperor down was the motivation for the Kamikaze pilots in the Pacific. I had already shown that I was not a coward, but none of the factors leading to a voluntary suicide mission applied to me. I was not going to hold at all costs if my life was the currency. Considering our position the only cost to the Germans would be a few machinegun cartridges."

И, как мне кажется, речь не про противопоставление верующих атеистам, а про оправдание религией самоубийства (в качестве примера приводятся японцы), что американцы (как христиане, по-видимому) не приемлют. Лично я так понял оригинальный текст.